Cashew Kernels are graded into white/scorched wholes,pieces,splits,butts etc.. depending on the shape,size & colour of the kernel.The Govt.of IndiaÂ Act prescribes 33 different grades of cashew kernels. Only 26 grades are commercially available and exported. They are :
- W - 180, is the ' King of Cashew ' - They are larger in size and very expensive.
- W - 210, are popularly known as ' Jumbo ' nuts.
- W - 240, it is an attractive grade which is reasonably priced.
- W - 320, are the most popular among cashew kernels and highest in terms of availability, worldwide.
- W - 450, are the smallest and cheapest white whole kernels and hence the favorite among low priced whole grades.
- Scorched wholes are another grade of cashew kernels, which have a slight brown colour due to longer roasting. They have all the other characteristics of white kernels and have the same nutritional qualities.
- Butts, splits and pieces areÂ Â priced lowerÂ and are ideal for cooking, preparation of sweets and savoury snacks.